Christmas bunting with lace trim

If you follow me on instagram, you’ll know that last week I started making bunting for our wedding (I’ll post about this at some point). Seven months (eeep!) is a long time to make the amount of bunting I need to make, but I knew that I’d get side tracked into other projects so I should give myself plenty of time.

Sure enough, I’d only sewn wedding bunting for two evenings when I got distracted by making some Christmas bunting as a present  for my mum’s birthday on Wednesday.

Without further ado… here it is!

She has a lovely mantelpiece to display this on, we don’t, so I had to stick it to the wall with masking tape.

I love it.

The birds are cut out from this Ikea fabric (£3 a metre!), and appliqued using my sewing machine. I outlined some of them in straight stitching or a zig zag stitch for emphasis. I was surprised at how many different birds were hiding in the fabric!

I used the same fabric on the back of the flags (because I have about a million metres of it. (I also used it here. )

I bought the two different fabrics for the front of the flags from the remnant bin at my local quilting shop. I picked them up a long long time ago but I think they were around £3-4 each for just under half a metre.

The red tape at the top is a red woven ribbon from the same quilting shop and the lace is from there too.

I attached a tiny bell (5p each) by hand to the bottom of each flag.

Even though it was only stuck up with masking tape, I loved how jolly it made our living room, so maybe for my next project I’ll get side tracked into making some Christmas bunting for us!

PS. I’m so sorry to bring Christmas to your blog reader so early! I just made this and love it so much I had to share!

About these ads
Tagged , , , , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Christmas bunting with lace trim

1. Ainhoa Vega says:

It’s adorable, I love it! Can’t wait to see your wedding bunting, too bad I don’t have Instagram (my cell phone is approximately 10 years old, hah)

2. Kristen says:

So cute!
    PS – I’m totally okay with early Christmas! I keep thinking about fun ways to decorate the apartment this year :)

• Annabel Vita says:

haha, thanks for the encouragement! We don’t have the whole “after thanksgiving” thing here, but I think most people prefer to wait until December….

3. This is adorable! I love the lace and bell additions. No worries on the Christmas thing- I am in full Christmas mode now trying to figure out gifts! Then I’ll get to decor- Shayne doesn’t let me put anything up until December 1st but I can always plan before that!

• Annabel Vita says:

I’m a December 1st girl myself – although it then takes us ages to sort out a tree!
      I’d have liked to make the bells bigger and golder but these were 5p each so they won!

4. Vicki Kate says:

It’s gorgeous bunting! I’m in Christmas denial, but then I always am until after my birthday at the end of November! I will be making more bunting this year I suspect though…

• Annabel Vita says:

Thanks Vicki Kate! I don’t decorate before December (and my mum doesn’t either) – but all the same I left all the properly christmas stuff (like trees and snowflakes) off the bunting so it could be sort of wintery instead of full on christmas.

5. Its SOOO cute! I love it! Really – I meant what I said on IG, I dont think we are going to have more babies, BUT – if we did – I would want a bunting by you for their room! Haha