We’re moving! (and a quick question)

As much as I love, love, love our current flat (and wish we could have it for always as a perfect city pied-à-terre!), we’ve outgrown it and for a while we’ve been looking for the perfect new rented home that offers a different set of compromises (there’s always a compromise, right?!).

The new place is still teeny, but it’s a two-bedroom house with a sweet little garden. I’ll share lots and lots more details after we move at the end of October.

For today, I wanted to ask your opinions on curtains vs. doors on closets. We have a huge (to us!) built in cupboard in the main bedroom. It’s currently lacking in any interior organisation, but I’m planning to change that.

I think it’s what you’d call a double closet and it has real doors, not bifold. So imagine it’s like this (but wider and shabbier):

(Source: http://bwallacebuilt.com/ (or click on image)

The thing is, the doors will likely take up ALL of the useable floor space in the bedroom  (except for the bed). So I’m considering swapping them for curtains and putting the doors under the bed for now.

(Source: http://loftandcottage.blogspot.co.uk, or click on image)

But, I know that the back of the closet doors would be great for hooks and shoe organisers and the like, so although the doors mean losing useable floor space outside the closet, they might mean that every last bit of clothing etc will fit IN the closet.

I just wondered if anyone had any opinions / experience about what might work better? I know it’s a long shot without pictures of our actual space, but maybe you tried out curtains and they were annoying / changed your life?

Let me know in the comments!

About these ads

21 thoughts on “We’re moving! (and a quick question)

1. Ashleigh

I prefer cupboard doors, think they look tidier. You might run the risk of the curtains bulging out. But our rented flat had doors that blocked the space between the bed and the wardrobe which could get frustrating so i understand your logic!

Looking forward to seeing pics xoxo

1. Annabel Vita Post author

I think they definitely look tidier! I do have some lovely curtains though… Maybe we can try it with the doors at first and see what happens… Thanks!

2. soisewedthis

i prefer doors. i was going to suggest looking at installing a sliding pocket door to save space, but it you’re renting, that might not be feasible. Maybe if you hang the curtains (floor length ones) up on a rod mounted to the wall, you can make it look like it’s a window and not a closet?

1. Annabel Vita

I love pocket doors, but one of these walls goes into the stairs and the other is exterior so wouldn’t work here even if we did own the house!

I think you’re right that outside mounted curtains look best… We’ll see!

1. Annabel Vita

Haha, I love how many people like to hide their clutter! We have a curtained cupboard at the moment (had no choice as the bed was in the way) and you can hide the clutter behind it, but it never looks quite as finished, you know?

3. Sabs

I prefer doors BUT currently we have neither! My hubby built shelves in an alcove in our bedroom with the intention of putting curtains up to hide all his clothes. He never got round to putting a rail up and I never got round to nagging him into it. So instead we have all his mess spilling off the shelves. Be warned! You could always try curtains first to see if they work and if you don’t like it, put the doors back…

4. Ainhoa

I prefer doors, I agree with Melanie – I don’t think I’ve seen many times where the curtains thing has been pulled off right. I’d live with the doors for a while and if you see you can’t manage, swap them out!

5. Amanda

Not quite the same, but in college I took the doors off of my closet and installed curtains instead. It worked great! For the most part it still hide my clutter and it opened up a lot of valuable floor space. And… think of all the fun patterns of fabric you could pick!

6. Kim

I do prefer doors, but I also like floor space :). We have bookshelves in our bedroom that hold our clothes (instead of a dresser) and we put curtains on the shelves to hide the clutter. I made them to match our windo curtains and its worked well.
    Congrats on your new place!

7. Kelly @ Corner of Main

Hum. I had a similar situation at my old condo. I removed the doors and had nothing on the closet (which was fine for me because I was the only one in there/no one saw my clothes). I vote no doors and use curtains otherwise you might find yourself over filling the closet and not being able to shut the doors!

8. jane

I prefer doors too – I think curtains can look a bit studenty and having been a student for 10 years, I’m now keen to move on!
    How are you getting along in your new home?

1. Annabel Vita Post author

Thanks for your input Jane! We are sticking with the doors for now. Our new home is ace but it’s taking a while to get looking the way we like it because all the proportions are so different to our last place. Hoping to share pics soon!