Hello, my pretty.
Are you bored of hearing about sorbetto tops I’ve made yet? Too bad, because I’m not bored of making them!
This one was actually made out of necessity though – I have lots of cardigans and jumpers (sweaters!) that just don’t work with any tops that I own, normally because the neckline or sleeves were wrong. I decided a nice wide necked sleeveless tank would fit the bill and luckily I knew just the pattern!
Front/Back – should’ve ironed it.
I won’t go into too many details. I omitted the pleat because this print was so busy I thought plain would be best. The fabric is some type of cotton (I think) and I made it much the same as my Sorbetto dress, but I only added a few inches to the bottom rather than, you know, a skirt.
With apologies for my dorky face and the silly mirror picture.
Buttt, I should have extended it in a much “flatter” way – I continued the curve at the bottom of the pattern and ended up making a weird sticky-outy-peplumy-kicky bit at the bottom that I don’t like, so I’ll need to remedy at some point (I won’t document this as I’m sure it’ll be a bit of a hack job!)
Yup, definitely should’ve ironed it. You can see my rookie dart addition in the bottom right picture.
I love the way this top looks from the inside! I french seamed the sides and did a small double fold hem. My bias facing is so much neater than it was on the sorbetto dress (see for yourself there!), so if I wanted to next time I could put the facing on the outside. I really trimmed the seam allowances (with pinking shears) on the neck facing in particular and it really made a difference, so I’ll be doing on the armholes too next time (tip from this great post ).
This dress fits differently to the two other versions of this pattern I’ve made (first one is here). It’s a lot roomier – there was so much excess at the armholes when I tried it on before binding that I added an armhole dart (that sounds complicated and like I know what I’m doing– I just pinched and pinned the excess while wearing it and then sewed along that line). I don’t think I cut inaccurately, so it’s probably just because this fabric highlighted the excess (it’s stiff-ish), but it seems a bit bigger all over. We’ll see.
This fabric cost me £5 at the beginning of the summer (I bought a metre and have scraps left for wedding bunting). I think the bias tape was about £2. The pattern was free.
I started printing the pattern (I tore my old one) at 1pm on Sunday, and by 5pm I was completely finished. I think about an hour of that was assembling the pattern (I did it slowly because I was watching the Sopranos at the same time) and I also stopped for lunch. I hope next time will be quicker still.