Tag Archives: Bias tape

Happy birthday apron – McCalls M5825

 

A long, long time ago, I bought an apron pattern because I figured it would be a good intro to sewing with patterns for a beginner like me, without having to worry about fit. But then, I never actually sewed it – I got on with quilt making and eventually made a few tops and dresses from patterns and discovered it wasn’t all that bad!

So the pattern sat there unused until Karen started her apronalong, which gave me just the kick I needed to dig out this pattern in order to make a present for my friend’s birthday. I’m so happy with the end result that I have to admit it will be a pang to give it away…

I used an Ikea checked fabric as my main fabric. It’s nice and tough for proper cooking, which my friend who will get this apron does a lot. I took the fabric shopping with me so I could hold it up against other fabrics to use with it, and eventually settled on one fat quarter of this lovely Kokka Wooded Forest fabric, which was pricey for a fat quarter at £4.50 but I think it really made this apron feel really special!

The pattern itself didn’t have a waistband, but I felt the two fabrics really benefited from a hit of red in the middle so I added one. This added quite a few headaches as to how to construct the whole thing, but I got there in the end! I think the instructions and construction of this dress would be nice and simple if I’d stuck to the waistband-less version.

The pockets and the bodice are both backed with denim (still left over from this skirt and this dress!), which I didn’t really take a picture of but you can see it peeking out here:

(Isn’t it weird how taking pictures on your dress form from certain angles can seem a little pervy?? – This one definitely did)

Best picture ever, though, right?

For the waist ties, the pattern calls for the normal “sew a tube, turn it inside out style”, but I totally messed mine up (cheap polyester plus badly applied interfacing plus hurried trying to turn it inside out). I was fed up of trying to turn stupid tubes inside out and I wanted to finish it up without going out for nice ribbon (plus the shops were shut), so I made my own ribbon out of some polka dot bias tape and the feather stitch on my machine. I love how this turned out! Talk about a happy accident.

I used the same feather stitch to finish my hem, which came out really bulky because of this fabric being decor weight. I also messed up and put the skirt on the apron wrong side out (so the less attractive side of the hem is on the outside). Oh well!

Thanks Karen for the kick I needed to finally make an apron!

Advertisements

Hot pink floral sorbetto top

Hello, my pretty.

Are you bored of hearing about sorbetto tops I’ve made yet? Too bad, because I’m not bored of making them!

This one was actually made out of necessity though – I have lots of cardigans and jumpers (sweaters!) that just don’t work with any tops that I own, normally because the neckline or sleeves were wrong. I decided a nice wide necked sleeveless tank would fit the bill and luckily I knew just the pattern!

Front/Back – should’ve ironed it.

I won’t go into too many details. I omitted the pleat because this print was so busy I thought plain would be best. The fabric is some type of cotton (I think) and I made it much the same as my Sorbetto dress, but I only added a few inches to the bottom rather than, you know, a skirt.

With apologies for my dorky face and the silly mirror picture.

Buttt, I should have extended it in a much “flatter” way – I continued the curve at the bottom of the pattern and ended up making a weird sticky-outy-peplumy-kicky bit at the bottom that I don’t like, so I’ll need to remedy at some point (I won’t document this as I’m sure it’ll be a bit of a hack job!)

Yup, definitely should’ve ironed it. You can see my rookie dart addition in the bottom right picture.

I love the way this top looks from the inside! I french seamed the sides and did a small double fold hem. My bias facing is so much neater than it was on the sorbetto dress (see for yourself there!), so if I wanted to next time I could put the facing on the outside. I really trimmed the seam allowances (with pinking shears) on the neck facing in particular and it really made a difference, so I’ll be doing on the armholes too next time (tip from this great post ).

This dress fits differently to the two other versions of this pattern I’ve made (first one is here). It’s a lot roomier – there was so much excess at the armholes when I tried it on before binding that I added an armhole dart (that sounds complicated and like I know what I’m doing– I just pinched and pinned the excess while wearing it and then sewed along that line). I don’t think I cut inaccurately, so it’s probably just because this fabric highlighted the excess (it’s stiff-ish), but it seems a bit bigger all over. We’ll see.

This fabric cost me £5 at the beginning of the summer (I bought a metre and have scraps left for wedding bunting). I think the bias tape was about £2. The pattern was free.

I started printing the pattern (I tore my old one) at 1pm on Sunday, and by 5pm I was completely finished. I think about an hour of that was assembling the pattern (I did it slowly because I was watching the Sopranos at the same time) and I also stopped for lunch. I hope next time will be quicker still.